Monday, May 30, 2016

Optimal Beginnings & Being Shameless


I am often baffled as to why some women feel angry (or shamed) when faced with information about the benefits of breastfeeding.  I am a firm believer that there are no mommy wars as many bloggers and online news outlets want us to believe. This belief causes rage, which gets mothers fighting and creates fabricated "hits" to articles making them popular for actually being the one to START the mommy war. 

I do understand that there are many reasons why a woman would choose formula over breastfeeding. These may be social, emotional, physical or belief based.  What I want to talk about is the way in which we receive information when it goes against our parenting choices.


INFORMATION IS NOT SHAMING

If I were growing bean plants for my entire life and I came across an article which talked about using fresh rich soil and full sunlight to insure that my plants thrive, I would be interested in the information, even if I was not growing bean plants anymore (or if I had grown a whole field of bean plants in the shade.)

I imagine that if my children wanted to grow bean plants, I might say, "I used to think that sunlight was not important, but now I know that sunlight may lead to more hardy and bountiful plants."

I USED TO THINK, BUT NOW I KNOW –see blog post 
I can not imagine feeling shame for doing what I felt was the best I could. I have made many non-mainstream choices for my children with minimal social supportMy choices; home births, breastfeeding, holding my baby and co-sleeping were met with anger and sometimes attempts to shame me into submission of the "norm." (My mother, "If this baby dies, it will be your fault." or "You are being selfish by breastfeeding." My best friend, " If this baby dies, it will be all your fault." Yes, they both said that!)

These admonitions passed through me like clouds in the sky.  I could not have heeded them if I tried because my internal guidance system knew the right way for us.

I would hope that my children would have access to the best information to in which to make choices for the optimal health and well being of their own children. I am sure that they will do the best they can, as a many mothers do, like you!
________________________


Little known facts about the miraculous benefits of breastfeeding!
Did you know?   A mother and a baby are connected in miraculous ways. Scientists have only just begun to understand how amazing the connection is between mother and baby.
 Did you know?
·         A mother is PART of a baby’s IMMUNE SYSTEM.
·         Breast milk is ALIVE and it changes from minute to minute to fulfill a baby’s needs.
·         A mother’s breast milk contains ANTIBODIES for EVERY illness that she has ever come into contact with.
·          Just minutes after a sick baby has nursed from a mother’s breast, her body will create antibodies for that illness. These antibodies are delivered to the baby by breast milk.
·          Breast milk components CHANGE at NIGHT to assist a baby in falling asleep and staying asleep.
·          When a baby nurses, the first milk is watery. This satisfies a baby’s thirst.
·         If a baby keeps nursing, the breast lets down milk which is richer with fat. This satisfies the baby’s hunger.
·         All babies are born with a leaky gut. Their intestines actually have tiny holes in them.
·         The first milk, called Colostrum: seals the holes in the intestine, and protects and coats and seeds the intestine with beneficial bacteria which are crucial for a healthy digestive system.
·         Colostrum creates a slippery laxative effect in the intestine which helps the baby pass meconium, which is the first sticky poop a baby is born with.
·         Colostrum also assists in clearing excess bilirubin and naturally helps to prevent jaundice.
·         Breast milk has stem cells. Stem cells kill cancer type cells.
·         Babies that are breast fed have significantly less diseases like:
Lymphomas, Crohn's disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Diabetes, Ulcerative Colitis and Intestinal Infections, Bacterial Meningitis, Hodgkin’s Disease, Hemophilus B. Virus, Asthma and other Respiratory Infections, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis and Autoimmune Disease, Cavities, Eczema and Skin Problems, Urinary Tract Infections, Cardiopulmonary Distress while Feeding, and Inguinal Hernia. 
·         Breastfeeding creates a biological bond between mother and child. The let down of milk releases hormones in the mother and baby which relaxes, attaches and tranquilizes.
·         Babies that are breast feed have a higher I.Q.’s and better brain and eye development.
·         Breastfed babies are healthier over-all and are less likely to die before their third birthday.
·         Breastfeeding lowers the incidence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).

·         Breast milk is FREE and plentiful and made just for your baby. 
These are only a handful of facts about breastfeeding. The list of the benefits of breastfeeding for mother and baby is much longer and there are still things that scientists don’t know about the benefits of breastfeeding.
 I wonder what amazing things we will learn in the years to come?
You can get free local breastfeeding help,
advice and mentorship by contacting:
La Leche League www.llli.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget